Additionally, paste this code immediately after the opening tag:
Call us on
(08)6555 7718
Send a message


Applying for the Australian Student Visa?

The simplified student visa framework

To apply for student visa in Australia after July 2016, make sure you take notice to the new changes made in the student visa framework of Australia.

It is evident to all that under the simplified student visa framework that came into effect from July 2016, all the countries and the CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Educations) registered education providers are allocated an immigration risk rating between one and three, which will determine whether or not students can access streamlined visa processing.

In other word, visa applications will be assessed on a risk framework based on two main factors: the immigration risk attached to their chosen education institution; and students’ country of citizenship. Provider and country immigration risk ratings are then combined to guide financial and English evidentiary requirements for student visa applicants.

All education providers have access to the benefits of streamlined evidentiary requirements. Education providers that obtain the lowest immigration risk rating have streamlined evidentiary requirements for all countries, while education providers with the highest immigration risk rating only receive these benefits for students from the lowest immigration risk countries.

While the immigration risk rating affects the type of evidence required, the basic requirements for the student visas include financial capacity, English and also the meeting of the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) criteria are still remaining.

Genuine temporary entrant requirement

The genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement is an integrity measure to ensure that the student visa programme is used as intended and not as a way for international students to maintain ongoing residency in Australia. The GTE requirement provides a useful way to help identify those applicants who are using the student visa programm for motives other than gaining a quality education.

When assessing the GTE requirement, the Department will consider

  • your circumstances
  • your immigration history
  • if you are under 18 years old, the intention of your parent, legal guardian or partner
  • any other relevant matter, which can be anything about yourself, including your family, your previous visas, your work experiences, your poststudy

The GTE is becoming more complex than before, as it is one of the main reasons many student visa applications got refused recently. Therefore, it is the best to apply for a Student Visa with a professional advice provided by a Migration Agent.

Changing courses

​If you hold a Student visa and are thinking about changing your course of study, ensure that you continue to meet all the conditions that apply to your student visa.

If you have not completed six months of your principal course (the main course of study you are undertaking) and you want to change your education provider, the ESOS National Code explains the circumstances in which this will be possible. Unless special circumstances apply, you usually need to have permission from your existing education provider to transfer to another education provider.

If your education provider does not give you permission to transfer to another education provider and you are not satisfied with the outcome, you should first use your education provider’s internal appeal process. If you are still not satisfied, you can appeal the education provider’s decision at an external complaints handling body such as the State or Territory Ombudsman or the Overseas Student Ombudsman.

If you change courses and your new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for your principal course has a shorter end date, you must depart Australia or apply for a new visa within 28 days of completing your principal course or your visa might be considered for cancellation.

Students holding a Student visa (subclass 500)

If you already have a student visa and want to change your main course of study to a lower Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) level course or a non-AQF level course, you will generally need a new student visa. This requirement applies even if the course you change to is with the same education provider. You will not need to apply for a new visa if you are changing from an AQF level 10 course (doctoral degree) to an AQF 9 course (Master’s degree).

Students and the skilled migration program

If you expect to get an employment opportunity in Australia after the student visa, a good starting point is to check out the Australia skill shortages and how to go about finding employment in this country.

While many overseas students decide to apply for a permanent visa upon completing their studies, this is an entirely separate process and there is no guarantee that.

Besides, the skilled migration program is highly competitive, and the program is designed to be responsive to Australian labour market conditions. In order to qualify for skilled migration to Australia, you must nominate an occupation from the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).

The current Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List is available at

Eligibility for skilled migration may be determined by the requirements in place at the time a person seeks to make their skilled migration application, regardless of whether or not they have previously been in Australia.


If you intend to lodge a student visa application, you are encouraged to check the document checklist based on your country of passport and education provider before lodgement, or contact Modern Migration Australia for more information. Our agents can provide you advices of choosing the right course, suitable institute and assisting with the Student Visa Application.