What you can do with this visa
- Let a foreign skilled worker to fill in a position that an employer cannot find a suitably skilled Australian to fill.
How long you can stay
This is a temporary visa.
There are three main streams:
- Short-term stream– up to 2 years or up to 4 years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies. Hong Kong passport holders may stay for 5 years. Eligible to re-apply for one further two years.
- Medium-term stream– up to 4 years. Eligibility for renew or permanent residency after three years. See Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream – Employer Nomination Scheme visa- Subclass 186.
- Labour agreement stream– Up to a maximum of 4 years. Your employer has to have a labour agreement with the Australian government in effect.
- Subsequent entrant- It is for family members of subclass 482 and 457 visa holders
- No age requirement (To be eligible for PR stage- TRT stream, you must be under 45 years old, unless exempt. See Employer Nomination Scheme visa- Subclass 186 )
- If applying onshore, you must hold a substantive visa or a Bridging visa A, B or C and have complied with previous visa conditions.
- Be nominated by an approved sponsor
- Work for your nominating employer
- Have relevant skills, qualifications and employment background to perform occupation
- must have at least 2 years relevant work experience in the nominated occupation or a related field.
- Have a positive skills assessment
- Have health insurance
- Meet health and character requirements.
- Be a genuine applicant for entry and stay as a short-term visa holder
- Have not contravened ‘paying for visa sponsorship’ legislative provisions
- Met certain minimum standards of English language proficiency unless exemptions apply.
- Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
- Have no debt to the Australian government
Short-term stream –
- must be sponsored to work in an occupation listed on the Short term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skill-occupation-list
Medium-term stream –
- must be sponsored to work in an occupation listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skill-occupation-list
Subsequent entrant –
- Have a partner or parent who holds a subclass 482 or TSS
- approved nomination in relation to the primary applicant, must agree (or have agreed) in writing to include you as a family member in the nomination.
Common Visa Conditions
8303 – Not be disruptive
8501 – Maintain adequate health insurance
8607 – Must only work in nominated occupation