What you can do with this visa
- Allows international students to live, study and work temporarily after you have finished your studies in Australia.
How long you can stay
This is a temporary visa.
There are three streams:
- Graduate Work– Usually up to 18 months. Hong Kong passport holders may stay for 5 years
- Post-Study Work– Usually between 2 to 4 years, depending on your qualification.
- Second Post-Study Work – 1 or 2 years depending on:
- the regional location of the educational institution
- the regional area that you live
- Be under 50 years of age
- Hold an eligible visa
- Meet the English Requirements
- Meet the Australian study requirement
- Have a recent qualification in a CRICOS registered course
- Proof of English proficiency
- Have adequate health insurance
- Meet Health and Character requirements
- Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused while in Australia.
- Have no debt to the Australian Government
- Have completed a qualification equivalent to an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
- Have a suitable Skills Assessment
- Have completed an eligible qualification at degree-level or above
Second Post-Study Work – 1 or 2 years depending on:
- Have studied with an Australian education provider in a designated regional area
- must have lived only in a designated regional area for a period of at least 2 years immediately before applying for the second Temporary Graduate post-study work stream visa.
|Residence location on first subclass 485 in the post-study work stream||Study location on student visa||Visa length for second 485 post-study work stream visa|
|Category 1 – Major cities: Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne (Non-Regional)|
or Category 2 – Designed city or major regional centre
or Category 3 – Regional Centre or other regional area: (All other locations)
|Category 1 – Major cities: Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne (None-Regional).||Not eligible|
|Category 2 – Designated city or major regional centre|
or Category 3 – Regional centre or other regional area: (all other locations).
|Category 2 – Designated city or major regional centre or Category 3 – Regional centre or other regional area: (all other locations).||1 extra year|
|Category 3 – Regional centre or other regional area: (all other locations)||Category 3 – Regional centre or other regional area: (All other locations||2 extra years|
Common Visa Conditions
8501 – Maintain adequate health insurance
8610 – Live, work and study only in designated regional area (Second Post-Study Work)