Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa SC491

What you can do with this visa

  • for skilled people nominated by a state or territory government to live and work in regional Australia

How long you can stay

This is a provisional visa. You can stay up to 5 years.

There are two streams:

  • Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa – Main applicant- Eligible to apply for permanent residence after 3 years from the time your visa is granted- See Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional)- Subclass 191.
  • Subsequent entrant- for members of the family unit of someone who holds a Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491)


Shared Criteria

  • Be invited to apply
  • Be able to score 65 points or more
  • Must be under 45 years old
  • Must be either nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative
  • Have a suitable skills assessment
  • Meet the skills requirement
  • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
  • Have no debt to the Australian government

Main applicant

  • Must have at least competent English.

Subsequent entrant

  • be one of the members of the family unit, of a subclass 491 visa holder.
  • must hold a substantive visa or a Bridging A visa if lodging onshore.
  • Must have Functional English. If you can’t show that you have Functional English, you will need to pay the second instalment.

Common Visa Conditions

8515 – Must not marry or enter into a de facto relationship before entry

8578 – Notify us if your passport or contact details change

8579 – Live, study and work in a designated regional area

8580 – Provide evidence of your live, study or work address if requested

8581 – You must attend an interview if we ask you to in a letter

Contact us for help