What you can do with this visa
- Let foreign skilled workers be sponsored by regional employers where employers cannot source an appropriately skilled Australian worker.
How long you can stay
This is a provisional visa. You can stay up to 5 years.
There are three main streams:
- Employer Sponsored stream- can apply for permanent residence after 3 years from the time your visa is granted- See Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional)- Subclass 191.
- Labour agreement stream- The employer must have a labour agreement.
- Subsequent entrant- for members of the family unit of a Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (SESR) (Provisional) visa (subclass 494) holder who wish to join the primary SESR visa holder in Australia.
- Must be under 45 years old
- Have relevant skills, qualifications and work experience
- Be nominated by an approved sponsor
- Have a positive skills assessment
- Meet health and character requirements.
- Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
- Have no debt to the Australian government
Employer Sponsored stream
- Must have at least competent English
- Have a family member who is a primary SESR visa holder
- Approved nomination in relation to the primary SESR visa holder, or main applicant for a SESR visa, must agree (or have agreed) in writing to include you as a family member in the nomination.
- Must have Functional English. If you can’t show that you have Functional English, you will need to pay the second instalment.
Common Visa Conditions
8515 – Must not marry or enter into a de facto relationship before entry
8578 – Notify us if your passport or contact details change
8579 – Live, study and work in a designated regional area
8580 – Provide evidence of your live, study or work address if requested
8581 – You must attend an interview if we ask you to in a letter
8608 – Must work only in the nominated occupation