Additionally, paste this code immediately after the opening tag:
Call us on
(08)6555 7718
Send a message

Visa information

Study In Australia Student Visa Subclass 500 & 570 Guardian Visa

Study and work in Australia with the Student Visa Subclass 500 and Guardian Visa Subclass 590 Visa

Australia presents a number of exciting opportunities for international students. If you’re thinking of living, studying and working in Australia, we’re here to help. At Modern Migration Australia, our registered Perth migration agents specialise in providing relevant and personalised information on student visas, guardian visas, Australian work visas, employer sponsored visas, de facto visas and partner visas in Australia.

Find out more about the Student Visa Subclass 500 and Guardian Visa Subclass 590 Visa.

Study Options

best migration agent perth

About the Student Visa Subclass 500

The Student Visa Subclass 500 allows students to study full-time at recognised institutions for periods of over three months. Students are also able to bundle courses, for which the visa generally covers in entirety. Visas can be granted to single applicants, couples and families. Primary and secondary family members can typically work a specified number of hours depending on the student’s course. Unless specific reasons exist, visa holders may remain in Australia for the entire duration of the course. When eligible, visa holders may be able to apply for a Graduate Visa Subclass 485.

The Process

In order to apply, you must have been accepted to study full-time at a recognised educational institution in Australia. When accepted, you will be issued with:

  • Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE)
  • Proof of English language skills (if required)
  • Proof of financial resources
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
  • Genuine Temporary Entrance Statement

Genuine Temporary Entrant

The Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements include:

  • Circumstances in home country/country of residence
  • Circumstances in Australia
  • Value of the course to the applicant
  • Immigration history
  • Intentions of guardians (if applicant is a minor)

Applicants are encouraged to provide evidence of:

  • Previous study circumstances
  • Current employment
  • Ties to home country
  • Economic circumstances

We encourage you to review the Ministerial Direction 69 and consult with a registered migration agent before drafting your GTE.

English Language Requirements

Applicants may be required to meet English language levels. Test types and scores include:

australian work visa

*From 06/06/2018, the TOEFL-PBT (paper based test) has been removed as an accepted English language for Subclass 500 (Student) visa applications due to the test’s inability to measure the English language speaking skills of an applicant

Financial Requirements

Applicants must display genuine access to sufficient funds to pay for course fees, travel and living costs for all visa holders. Assessments include:

  • Bank deposits in your name or in authorised names
  • Meeting the annual income requirement ($60,000 for single applicants and $70,000 for couples and families)
  • Registered reputable loans
  • Relationships between you and fund providers
  • Income, assets and employment of the fund provider
  • Previous visa history

Calculating Living Costs

Student – $20,290

Guardian – $20,290

Primary student visa holder’s partner or spouse – $7,100

Primary student visa holder or partner/spouse’s child – $3,040

Dependent Children Schooling Costs

If an applicant has school-aged children, they must demonstrate evidence of a minimum of $8,000 per year for each child. Schooling costs vary according to state, and you are responsible for conducting your own research. Exemptions may apply depending on course levels, scholarships and other conditions.

Health Insurance

Adequate health insurance is required while in Australia. Students can demonstrate this by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) that includes medical and hospital insurance. This can be arranged individually or with assistance from a registered migration agent or educational institution.

Student Guardian Visa Subclass 590

The Student Guardian Visa Subclass 590 allows you to stay in Australia as the guardian of a student visa holder under the age of 18.


You must:

  • Be the student’s parent, legal guardian or relative
  • Demonstrate sufficient funds to support yourself and the student
  • Be able to provide accommodation
  • Be at least 21 years of age
  • Pass character and health requirements
  • Hold OSHC

Application Process and Restrictions

You’re able to apply for the Guardian Visa Subclass 590 at the same time as a Student Visa Subclass 500, but your visa cannot be granted until the student visa is approved. Guardian Visa Subclass 590 restrictions limit you from working in Australia or leaving the country without the student of whom you are the guardian.

Student Visa Conditions


migration agent in perth

Get Expert Advice on Living and Studying in Australia

Modern Migration Australia is Perth’s trusted team of experienced and registered migration agents. We help people across backgrounds and cultures learn more about living and working in Australia. With expertise spanning student visas, guardian visas, Australian work visas, employer sponsored visas, de facto visas and partner visas, we aid in ensuring that your application is as strong as possible.

For more on the Student Visa Subclass 500 and Guardian Visa Subclass 590 Visa, contact our Perth team today on (08) 6555 7718.

Visa Options