What you can do with this visa
- for people who arrived in Australia on a valid visa and want to seek asylum.
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa.
- Has arrived in Australia legally
- Be a refugee or engage Australia’s complementary protection criteria
To be recognised as a refugee under Australian law, you must demonstrate a real chance that you will be seriously harmed in your country of origin due to your race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership of particular social groups. Although grounds for protection and PPVs are specific, they are not restricted to refugees.
Owed Complementary Protection
To be recognised as a person owed complementary protection by Australia, you must prove that a return to your country of origin could result in the arbitrary deprivation of life, the death penalty, torture, cruel or inhumane treatment or degrading treatment and punishment. You must also pass identity, health and character checks. In many cases, you may include family members on your application if they satisfy criteria and are in Australia.
- Meet identity requirements
- Not be barred from lodging a permanent protection visa application
- Not have held any of certain visas
- Meet Australia’s security requirements
- Meet health and character requirements
Common visa conditions
8559- Travel restriction
Contact us for help